rainy weather precautions

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: rainy weather precautions
From: Riley F Marquis III <kewl-sv1@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 02:03:58 -0800
Fortunately, here in southern California there hasn't been too much rain
this winter.  However, I learned what not to do this past week.
I drove 1758 to school where it waited for my return from class with no
shelter.  I asssumed that since the doors didn't leak i would be fine.
not so!  First of all, I had broken rule number one:if your doors don't
leak, leave 'em alone.  I had tried adjusting the doors on a previous
occasion, which allowed some minor leaks.  The real problem started when
water got past the rear hatch into the rear of the car.  The water must
have done something back there to the electrical system for the tail
lights.  I noticed that my guage lights for the dash were out, but the
guages themselves were functional.  I thought this might be a result of
the last portion of the headlamp switch going out.  I had headlights, and
had no choice but to drive home.  around 3 am, I was just a few blocks
from home when a bright light appeared behind me.  At first, I thought I
was about to encounter a UFO, but the red and blue lights at the top of
my rear view mirror indicated otherwise (I was just kidding about the
UFO, unless it could possibly stand for Unidentified Flourescent Object).
 I pulled over, wondering what sort of electrical mishap had befallen me.
 Strangely enough, even though the tail lights were out, my stop lights
still worked!

Now the task at hand is figuring out how the dash lights and tail lights
could go kaploowie at the same time, considering that they are at
opposite ends of the car.  Any Ideas?

Riley Marquis III
VIN 1758

P.S. it was interesting having the windows fog up, especially since I
couldn't roll down the windows or use the A/C defroster.  The rear hatch
window was the worst, and on top of that, I had a working rear window
defroster that I couldn't turn on.  If I would have used it, I would have
wound up with a dead short that can only be fixed by pulling the roof T
section =)

Maybe one day I'll invent a shut off valve for the heavenly sprinkler
system that magically turns the Bricklin carpets into  Bricklin
sponges....

Type at you later....