Finding The Balance-Restricted Info

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Finding The Balance-Restricted Info
From: godlykrew@juno.com (Riley Marquis III)
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 02:43:36 -0700
There are two sides to the coin representing the restriction of Bricklin
Tech info.

Ups:
Encourages increased Membership (Maybe)

Downs:
Restrictions must be selected carefully
Passwords may not do any good.  If I was an Unethical BI member, I could
post an access ID and Password on my own web page, or give them out to
all my friends(for example).  This in essence would eliminate the whole
purpose of restricting info.

Guidelines for Restricting Info
Things that should NOT be restricted.
General info (e.g. what is a Bricklin, as described on the main page)
Bricklin FAQ(mainly so newbies interested in buying a "B" can be aware of
"aftermarket fixes" such as air doors, etc., and can ask the owners of
"for sale B's" what updates have been done, etc.)
The Brickyard Price guide-gives perspective new owners/members an idea of
how much parts cost(like a fender or an A-pillar).  This could be a great
addition to the web page =)  John, comments?

Things that SHOULD be restricted
Tech articles(such as how to remove the dash)
Parts X-ref

Things that COULD be restricted-could go either way
Vendor Contact info(a price guide would make this restrictable )
E-mail list

Also, I understand that BI is a non-profit organization.  In my opinion,
the goals of the club are/should be:

Helping members fix/restore their cars (tech articles, etc.)
Increase public awareness about our cars(can make the club grow, giving
it more support, possible increase in car value)
preserve the Bricklin marque and as many cars as possible

If most of us owners out there are just letting our cars sit there,
without fixing and/or restoring them, the cars are just going to rot.  A
$20,000+ restoration job can go down the drain in a year if the car is
apathized (is that even a word?)

For those of us who do have driveable cars, we should try and find the
time to enter them in some local car shows (for classics, fords, AMC,
etc.).  This will attract auto enthusiasts to the Bricklin, some of whom
will fall in love with the car, join BI, and buy a "B".  The more this
happens, the more likely the support behind the club, and a possible
chance at a higher market value.