Fw: Fw: Ball joints, etc.

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Fw: Ball joints, etc.
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 20:29:28 -0400

>But would you drive with front end components that have been
heated?  And
>even if you would, you are surely in the minority  (also an ex
racer who
>still owns the AMX funny car and factory SS/AMX)
==========
Well, in GoCart racing, it was common to heat the chassis and bend
it to achieve a particular handling characteristic. In SCCA and
modified dirt classes, many times over the years a torch was
necessary to remove parts. Try and remove a VW rear axle nut on a
hot Formula V with a regular breaker bar, etc.
==========
>>The flaw in your reasoning is that normally someone who owns an
oxy
>>rig knows how to use it.
>

>Uh oh-we would hope so, but many of my former students, club
members, etc.
>buy a former mechanics equipment, often including the torches, and
haven't
>a clue.
==========
Maybe I'm just out of date. The folks I've known over the years who
worked on vehicles have some common sense, or at least enough to
know when they're in over their head.
==========
>>>And why are you assuming the alignnment shops use the torch for
>>what you imply?
>>=========
>>I wasn't assuming. It's a statement of fact.
>>=========
>

>????
==========
I assume you want an example? I was at NTB (National Tire and
Battery) last week to have a slow tire leak repaired. I watched as
two alignment techs were unable to break loose a tie rod end
retaining nut on a several year old Jeep Cherokee with any wrench or
impact gun they had. Out came the torch, applied heat to the stud /
nut juncture to till a nice cherry color, then off it comes with the
impact. A common practice down here. AFAIK, no lawsuits yet.
==========
>If you were talkng to experienced people, I might agree with you. I
do not
>agree it should be suggested to a group who may not know better.
Not to get off on a rant here, but literally millions of people have
been injured or killed to preserve the right of free choice
worldwide. I, and I assume others on the list, don't like being
reduced to the lowest common denominator of human intelligence and
be told what's best for me (us). I get too much of this already from
a government swayed by too many folks with your stated attitude.

GM