Ball joints, etc.

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Ball joints, etc.
From: tbenvie@bu.edu (Thomas Benvie)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 14:03:47 -0400
>Wow Tom! You should have been here when we discussed brakes. You
>would have been apoplectic! As for suspension failures due to
>heating ball joints to get them
>apart borders on the ridiculous. This does assume you're replacing
>the ball joint. I admit you shouldn't use much heat if you plan on
>reusing it, but that's not what the question was about. I agree that
>if you heated an upright until it is white hot for long enough, then
>splash it with water, it will prematurely fail. Normally, a stamped
>steel part may deform a little, but won't catastrophically fail as
>you suggest. Every alignment shop I've been in
>(and I imagine you too) has an oxyacetylene rig for this and other
>situations when conventional means fail. I agree suspension work has
>an element of risk, experienced or not, just a little bit of common
>sense concerning safety is required as with any project. Are you
>also against having electrical appliances / power tools in the home
>/ shop without formal training in their proper use? BTW, as a
>teacher, why this negative approach instead of some helpful hints,
>and encouragement?

Well, I was in the middle of the discussion on brakes on the AMC list and I
got blasted by a number of people.  And, there was some pretty poor and
dangerous advice given there as well.  As a matter of fact, someon who is a
friend of mine posted a way to make a spring compressor, and it was just
plain dangerous and told him so.  Eventually, he realized he was just lucky
with his makeshift "appliance".

Don't have the original post, but I thought he was told to heat a tie rod
end with a torch.  Either way, suspension components should not be heated
as a rule of thumb, and I must say I don't believe I have ever had to do
that.  (And I also do ground up restorations, I have owned 146 2 seater
AMXs, over 300 Javelins, as well as the 3 Bricklins and a number of other
cars).  Why do you say heating the parts would cause failure borders on the
ridiculous?  Don't want to start a war here, just curious, but I bet if you
asked any racer if they would use one of those "heated" parts, they would
say no.  And there is always the danger of telling an unexperienced people
to use the torch.  From experience, they don't adjust the flame right, and
more importantly, they don't look beyond the component they are heating to
see what else the flame is burning.

And why are you assuming the alignnment shops use the torch for what you imply?

Yes, I would be against having appliances, tools, etc. being used without
knowledge as to what they do, and what harm they could do.  "Formal"
training was never suggested by me, but some sort training or guidance
should be done.

I apologize if I had a negative approach on the first post, and hopefully
have made amends with one I sent an hour or so ago with at least a few
suggestions.  But just as I do on the AMC list, I am very irratated when
advice is give, such as c-clamps, that is just plain dangerous, whether
people do it or not.

Thomas M. Benvie
5 Sachem Rock Ave.
East Bridgewater, MA 02333