Re: Please, I need to find a glue -- and some other q's

To: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Please, I need to find a glue -- and some other q's
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 18:02:31 -0400
At 09:37 PM 4/8/98 PDT, K M wrote:
>Hey guys (and gals),
>It can't be a secret what glue to use for binding the door skins to the
>shells.  I called 3m and got a huge lecture on the incongruity of having
>a glue that holds yet can be easily removed.

You should have asked the fellow if he has heard of "Post it" notes.

>I told the guy that I never said it need be "easily" removed.....

Kim, why would you want the glue to be removable? I must admit that
I like you like to be able to take things apart.  However, theoretically
when you put the skins on the door or the quarter panel on the car,
you want it to stay there, forever!

Have you ever tried to remove the skins for a regular car door?
Basically you don't.  If you do, you have to replace them.  Same goes
for quarter panels.

>...I do know that Tanner suggests the hyper-expensive German stuff,
>but is there a more reasonable American substitute?

Before I start, let me say; Kim, I'm not trying to flame you or
anything so don't take this the wrong way.  While I applaud you
attempts at finding a cheaper/better product, lets stop and look
at this for a minute.

  a. Terry does say 10 sets of door a year.  We will do I in a life
     time (hopefully), maybe 2.  So he has a lot more experience than
     we'll ever be able to acquire unless we go to work for him.

  b. He has to have a product that WORKS!  His customers would NOT be
     happy if they had to redo their doors every couple of years.

  c. Because of "a" and "b", he has tried more products than we'll
     ever get to. It would seem to me that if there were a cheaper
     equivilant product on the market that he'd be using it.

In many cases I feel that we (as well as the major vendors) should be
looking for replacement parts/products.  Take 75 motor mounts for
example. There are NO more to be had.  Hoffman is selling some at
about $65 ea. and last time I talked to Terry, he wanted about $200
for a set!  I don't know how many of them they have in stock, but
I've been trying for over 2 years to find a replacement.  This seems
to be a better use of our time.

>Also, I was told of an air compressor substitute for the car (supposedly
>it is the same as Tanner sells) but before I can say where or what it
>is.....

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the compressor you found.
Where do you get the time to work for a lifing, work on the cars, and
do the parts research?  I know from personal experience it's tough!

>.... in no way do I want to step on Tanner's or Hoffman's toes,
>but if things are found that work well and are more affordable, then I
>feel that the list should be informed.  Any comments on this?

I know Hoffman is pretty preterbed (sp) at me for my parts xref list.
But I agree with you.  There are some of us that are wrench turners
and on tight budgets.  There are others that will take their cars to
Bob, Terry, of Fransens and pay what ever it takes.  I personally don't
think that when we develop the parts xref. that we are costing them
that much money.  Sometime in the future if their sources for the more
common things dry up, they'll end up looking at the research that we've
done and use the parts that we've found.

By the same token, I don't think I'd flaunt it in their faces or go
into competition with them.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V