RE: re front springs

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: RE: re front springs
From: "GREGORY MONFORT" <WINGRACER@classic.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 97 05:19:21 UT

Putting them back is another story.  AMC sold a special spring compressor
for the job.  I tried to find one without much success.  (I must admit that
I didn't call MAC or SNAPON.)  What I finally did, was got a standard
internal spring compressor.  These are usually used for Mustangs and they
don't really open wide enough.  So I heated the hooks with an oxi-acetaline
(sp) tourch and beat them open until the fit around  the springs.
You got more guts than me. I'm amazed the hooks didn't bend or break
considering the pressures involved. Snap-On makes an internal compressor
that's tedious to use, but will collapse the spring to where it will go in/out
with room to spare.

GM