Re: re front springs

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: re front springs
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 21:19:16 -0400
At 03:51 PM 10/1/97 -0400, Steve Bepko wrote:

>And perhaps more importantly, what did you change them out with ?  All the
>info I have so far says that the '75's used custom springs designed for
>Bricklin.

Steve, et al.

   I've written one article about tearing down the front suspension of the
Brick.  I have another one about ready to go on rebuilding it.

The way I took down the springs in my 75 (887) and several of the AMCs that
I've stripped for parts, is to use a set of external spring compressors.
You have to play a round a little but you can get them on there and using
an impact wrench to drive the lead screw, I have been able to compress the
springs enough to get them out.  (You MUST remove the shock first.)

Just watch the lead screw as it extends upward.  If you are positioned
correctly, it will just miss or graze the top spring seat.

Putting them back is another story.  AMC sold a special spring compressor
for the job.  I tried to find one without much success.  (I must admit that
I didn't call MAC or SNAPON.)  What I finally did, was got a standard
internal spring compressor.  These are usually used for Mustangs and they
don't really open wide enough.  So I heated the hooks with an oxi-acetaline
(sp) tourch and beat them open until the fit around  the springs.

To install the springs, I mounted the spring seats on the upper control
arms and removed the little extension on top of the shock tower.  I
lowered the lead screw with only 1 set of hooks on it down into the spring
from the top of the shock tower while holding the spring up roughly in
place.  I placed several sheets of metal (with a hole large enough for
the lead screw) on top of the shock tower.  Using my impact wrench I
cranked down on the lead screw.  I placed some grease on the metal plate
to lubricate the nut on the lead screw.  As I cranked on the lead screw,
it pulls the lower (only) set of jaws up compressing the spring.  When
I thought it was compressed enough, I tried to place it on the seat.

If it didn't fit, I compressed it some more until I could slide the
bottom of the spring onto its seat.  (Note: the spring seat has a detent
for the end of the coil and MUST be positioned toward the inside of the
car.)

Hope this helps!

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire