FW: Brick - front end question

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Brick - front end question
From: "GREGORY MONFORT" <WINGRACER@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 97 01:53:56 UT
> I don't drive the Bricklin as much as I'd like, primarily because
> I have a very noticeable "POP" from the steering (and felt in the
> steering wheel when it happens) when I turn the wheel all the way to
> one side (either side). I think it is from either the suspension or the
> steering linkages.
>
> The steering feels fine before the pop, and if  the steering is cramped
> to an extreme (as if getting out of a parking space) that is when the POP
> happens.  Feels as though something snapped or broke... Sooo, gingerly
> I'll turn the steering wheel and... everythings fine... until next time.
> Usually the next time the car is out, NOT the next time the wheel is
> turned to an extreme...(Hmmm)

You don't say if this only happens in one direction or both. If just in one
direction it may be a ball joint with a flat spot. Jack the car up with the
tire a few inches off the ground and using some sort of pry bar leverage the
tire directly up. If there is any play, replace the joint. If both then it's
probably the power steering. I don't have quick access to my Brick, but I'm
assuming the power steering system is the same as other brands I've worked on:
It could have a sticking relief valve and/or air leak. The first time you put
a lot of pressure on the pump you're probably blowing the relief valve and
un-sticking it. If excessive air is getting into the system it will aggravate
the problem. While in use the system can't trap air because the pump is
keeping the system pressurized, but when you turn the pump off for a while and
everything cools down, the system equalizes, and air can be sucked in. Check
all the fittings and the cap of the steering box. When you park the car, turn
the wheel to full lock and the next time you crank it up, keep the wheel in
that position a see if it pops when the pressure builds up. Has the system
ever been flushed? Varnish will build up over time and cause this type of
problem. I'm assuming you can still get relief valves if necessary.

> I'd feel better if I could reproduce the problem, but that's half the
> problem, too.  One of these times I'll find out the hard way what seems
> to be binding or shifting. Since the car is 22 years old, (Yikes !!! time
> really flies, don't it?)

John,  My first quess might be something to do with the power steering
pump bypassing fluid since you have the steering locked at one end.  Air
conditioners and air compressors have a "Fart" valve that will release
the built up pressure when the unit shuts off.  It might be something like
that.

Power steering systems have progressive bleed valves to maintain a relatively
even pressure (except for a few weird one way valve variations).

Another problem is that the shock towers, aren't strong enough.  There
is a modification to put reinforcement bars on them to stiffen them
up and maintain the alignment with respect to each other.  This is NOT
that critical unless you are really pushing you car hard through some
corners, like racing it.

I disagree! These cars are Flexi-Flyers. I believe they ALL need bracing.

GM