Re: Marketing yeet again

To: fslater@nb.sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: Marketing yeet again
From: Pugsracer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:03:38 -0500 (EST)

<< thanks for the info so far.  I wonder if any of you could answer
 this question for me.  It is clear that the Bricklin was in high demand
 and that they could have sold many more.  People were standing in line to
 buy this car.  Paying off dealers to get first in line.  why?

It was new and it was "sexy". It had a great publicity campaign and people
expected that the quality would be there. Malcolm talked a good story.

        It had poor quality,was expensive, and it would have been
 difficult to have maintenance done on it.  Headlights don't work right,
 body panels didn't fit, you couldn't even get in it if you are over 6'2".

Again it was expected that things would work. As soon as word got out about
the problems demand faded quickly. Cost was in line with a corvette - within
a few hundred dollars and the drivetrain was off the shelf AMC and then ford.
No big deal for service.

        What was it that appealed? Was it the looks?  The safety
 features?  Or the image of the underdog trying to beat Detroit at its own
 game?

Yes!

        Looking at it now i can see why collectors like it.  What i am
 trying o understand why it was popular when it was new.  Was it only
 collectors and auto afficianados who were interested?

I still have a number of letters from people to my father (dealer) wanting
the car. These were people that were into cars and it was affordable for
them. lets face it sports cars have always been impractical for families but
not for single folks. And it was and is a cool car!