bmcu

[Bmcu] Mk1 stuck starter spring update

To: "saloons@jag-lovers.org" <saloons@jag-lovers.org>,
Subject: [Bmcu] Mk1 stuck starter spring update
From: Ryan Border <ryan_border@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 18:09:59 -0800 (PST)
Been mulling my options this week.=A0=A0 Finally settled on an approach to =
getting the spring unjammed from behind=A0 my flywheel/clutch assembly...

1) Jacked up the right rear wheel.
2) Securely blocked the other 3 wheels
3) Put the car in 4th, let off the parking brake
4) Wrapped a big long tow strap around the right rear wheel (think "strap w=
rench")
5) Hooked a tow chain to my garage floor anchor (out in front of the car)
6) Put a come-along (hand winch) between the tow chain and tow strap

(things are wrapped such that application of the hand winch rotates the rig=
ht rear wheel backwards)

7) wrapped another tow strap=A0 around the rear axle (left side) and secure=
d it to my 4X4 truck, parked behind the car (keep the car from moving forwa=
rds)
8) Put my big knock-off wrench on the left rear, and used it to apply rearw=
ard torque (~400 ft-lbs, needed to help keep wheel from slipping)

With everything in place...

9) Used the come-along to turn the right rear wheel backwards.

The idea of all this is to force turn the drive-shaft, transmission, clutch=
, and flywheel backwards... with a lot of slow force.=A0=A0 Hopefully, we c=
ould force the spring back out the way it went in.=A0=A0 It worked... sort =
of.=A0=A0 We definitely moved the spring "up" and towards the starter hole.=
=A0 A lot more of it is now visible.=A0=A0 It's still stuck though.=A0 Afte=
r some good success, and a couple of "pops" as the spring worked its way up=
, progress seemed to stall.

Finally, using the inspection camera,- we monitored the flywheel as we turn=
ed the wheel.=A0=A0 It's stopped moving.=A0=A0 Took just a few moments to r=
ealize how/why:=A0 my clutch is now slipping again.=A0=A0=A0 I think my oth=
er idea:=A0 rolling the car backwards down the driveway, and then popping t=
he clutch (with the car in 4th) would yield the same result.=A0=A0 It would=
 be more of an impulse; but this thing is really jammed.=A0=A0 =

So, now it looks like it's time to separate my motor and bell-housing=A0 :-(

Ryan.