bmcu

Antelope Island Run, May 8

To: BMCU Members <BMCU@autox.team.net>
Subject: Antelope Island Run, May 8
From: Gary Lindstrom <gary@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 09:31:52 -0600
Our British cars crossed the water once to get here. On Saturday, May 8, they
can cross the water again--this time to Antelope Island.

This is a wonderful early summer drive. Its the Utah version of a coastline
highway trip: tooling along the causeway to get to the Island, in a pack of
Brit cars, a little salt spray in the air, seagulls flying over the water...Ok,
maybe coastline is a bit of a stretch, but you have to admit that not every
landlocked state has salt water and seagulls.

Now, theres two ways to hook up with the group for this drive. Even your
not-so-trusty Lucas compass can keep you from finding your way:
If youre driving north to the island, say, from the Salt Lake City area, meet
at the state capitol building, in the north side parking lot, at 10:00 am
Saturday, May 8th. At 10:30 well head north up I-15 toward the Island.

If youre driving south, such as from Ogden or surrounding areas, dont meet us
at the capitol building. Instead, meet us at the Burger King in Layton, on Main
Street and Antelope Drive (thats the northwest corner of the second
intersection west of I-15 on Antelope Drive). Meet us there at about 11:00 am.
At 11:30, well head on out to the Island.

Our plan is to get to the Island at noon, get a couple of the covered
pavilions, and eat lunch. From there, well drive up to Buffalo Point, then
back toward the marina and onto the road that will take us to the Garr Ranch.
The road to the ranch, along the eastern shore of the Island, is a blast to
drive. Youd think someone had our cars in mind when they built it.

Besides you, someone to enjoy the drive with you, and your Brit car, youll
need to bring a picnic lunch and $8 to pay the per-car fee to cross the
causeway (thats how Davis county pays for the causeway upkeep). How many
people you pack into your car to get your moneys worth is up to you. And you
may want to bring a rain jacket, just in case--if tradition holds, therell be
a few drops along the way. You can buy food on the island at the small buffalo
burger stand at Buffalo Point. However, I dont know when they open for the
season, so Id suggest you either pack a lunch or get something while were
gathering up at the Layton Burger King stop.

If you dont meet up and travel with the group, heres how to get to the
Island: take I-15 to Layton, then take exit #335 (look for the brown signs
directing you to Antelope Island State Park). Exit 335 is Antelope Drive. Take
Antelope Drive west until you reach the causeway. Look for us in the pavilions
on the east side, overlooking the beaches.

Questions? Call Nathan Massie at 801-486-2935. Mark this event on your
calendar, and get the car ready now!