Re: effect of inclined roll axis on handling?

To: jcreasy@perforce.com
Subject: Re: effect of inclined roll axis on handling?
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:34:54 EDT
In a message dated 7/21/2006 11:18:47 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jcreasy@perforce.com writes:

<<  i dont see how lowering the rear roll center on its own  can make the car
rotate better.

that change alone will increase the  CG to RC distance and acts like
softening the rear bar.  for example,  when i lowered my front roll
center, i calculated how much more front bar  i needed to balance that
change- so i changed from a 1.25" OD, .095" wall  to a  .188" wall front
bar which rebalanced the car.   >>
I don't remember where I read this, Fred Puhn, Carroll Smith, or ???   The
point is that the car rolls about the roll axis.  A flat axis produces  roll
without pitch, the steeper the roll axis, the more pitch is introduced, and
the
more weight is transferred to the outside front.

<<  in the scenario you describe, was there also a stiffer  rear bar added?
how much stiffer?  was the geometry changed,  e.g. from trailing arms to
a panhard? >>
This has worked with RX-3s, without changing from leaf springs, merely
adding a Panhard.  It has worked on RX2s and RX-7s by replacing the  high roll
center Watts with a low roll center Panhard, retaining the four  link.  ALL the
successful CP cars have lowered the rear roll center.

<<  but now we are describing steady state cornering- which  is tuned with
bars and springs. >>

its the possible initial  effect of the roll axis before steady state
that i am interested in.   ive gotten several different, but impassioned,
arguments from various  experts.  unfortunately there is no agreement on
what the dominant  effect/s is/are.  >>
When I say that rotation increases, I'm talking initial rotation.  Mid
corner/steady state rotation is not a desirable thing, it's all about turn-in
me.  Maybe that's my fwd background...

In any case, I think you want to have the rear roll center adjustable, so
you can try things out for yourself.

Charlie