Re: effect of inclined roll axis on handling?

To: nihal@berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: effect of inclined roll axis on handling?
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 03:03:27 EDT
In a message dated 7/20/2006 5:59:57 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
nihal@berkeley.edu writes:

I don't  think that it would work this way. If the rear roll center is
lower, this  does not change the total weight transfer at that axle. It
only changes the  roll angle. The roll angle is purley a function of the
distance between the  RC and cg height (the lever arm you speak of) and the
lateral acceleration.  With the lower rear roll center the car will become
"lazy" and be more  stable at that end.
The overloading of a tire doesn't make senes to me. The  weight that went
onto that tire had to come off of another wheel (usually  inside). These
inside wheels are what govern the oversteer and understeer  characteristics
of a car. I would suspect if the front outside was in the  situation you
describe (kind of like overdriving a FWD car) the front  inside wheel has
very little weight, and thus cannot produce the lateral  accelration it
needs to, and therefore you have  understeer.

Okay, say it however you want to.  My experience is with strut  front/solid
axle rear cars.  I know the following to be true.

1)  MacPherson strut suspensions have a very low roll center, usually
between 2" above ground and somewhere below ground.

2)  Solid axles without a Panhard or Watts have a roll center that is  right
through the center of the axle.  So, on a car with 24" tall tires,  this is
12".

3)  That's a steep roll axis and the car will push.  Lowering the  rear roll
center to say 6" above ground causes the rear to rotate more and the  car to
push less.

this has been proven time and time again in numerous autocross cars.   Cloak
it in whatever math or verbage you want to, but the end result  is #3.

Charlie