VW Passat Oil light - <Sorry, Not AutoX>

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: VW Passat Oil light - <Sorry, Not AutoX>
From: jake@codeworm.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:24:39 -0800
My boss, who is awesome, says his oil light came on in his circa 2003 VW Passat
Wagon.  The oil is full.  He said he was able to plug in a code reader and see
some diagnostic that showed the oil pressure falls below 2 bars at idle, but
goes up above 2 bars when he hits the gas.  He says he's heard the engines in
those cars are susecptable to some kind of gunky oil buildup, but doesn't have
a way to verify that's going on in his engine.  The car has 90k miles on it,
and went through it's 90k mile service including a timing belt about 3 weeks
ago.  The shop that did that work claims they have no idea what could cause
this, of course.

First, does anyone have any ideas for him?  (I ran out of suggestions after,
"leave it in a ditch somewhere," but I'd love to be able to help him out.)

Second, can anyone recommend a trustworthy VW shop in the South Bay,
particularly near Cupertino, Mountain View, etc.?

Thanks for your help!

Jake