Trailer brake wiring question

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Trailer brake wiring question
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 00:04:01 EDT
OK, here's the deal: I hooked up my trailer to a new vehicle yesterday.
Vehicle is built on a Ford E450 chassis and is pre wired at the hitch receiver
with a round seven pin plug for the lights, brakes etc.
Anyhow, I haven't installed my brake controller yet, because the only  wiring
harness I have is for a Chebby, not a Ford, but I wanted to test out the
trailer with the vehicle (drop on draw bar, basic wiring etc.). At the curb,
lights, signals, brake lights all work fine. I drive down the street a little
ways, first time I hit the brakes the trailer brakes LOCK UP. As soon as I
disconnect the wiring, of course the brakes released. What's the deal? Will it
fix itself when I install the brake controller or is there something wonky with

the wiring?
Also, does anyone know of anyplace up here in CC county (maybe San Ramon,
Dublin or Pleasant Hill, Concord) that carries towing stuff, like a wiring
harness for the Ford plug?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Mike Wood