RE: noise at Monster

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: noise at Monster
From: "Carl Merritt" <CarlM@RacerZX.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 10:18:41 -0700
> the event regulations...there still must be some device in
> the exhaust system used to muffle the exhaust.

I'm sure a set of headers or simple exhaust manifolds substantially muffles
the db level of the engine without them.  The same could be said for
downpipes, or even a length of pipe out the back instead of just dumping the
exhaust out under the car.  Hence every car has a 'muffling device' on the
engine, the only question is having enough 'muffling devices' on the car for
adequate sound levels.

Me thinks you are trying a bit too hard to define a "muffler" as a large
heavy can filled with sound deadening material.  Many cars don't need them
to 'muffle' the exhaust sound to appropriate levels, some don't even have
them OEM (Neon SRT-4), and ruling those cars illegal strikes me as both
silly and against the spirit of the rules, at least as I interpret them.

-Carl
300ZX ITE/OSP (Obviously Silly Protest?)