Re: Thank you all for orchestrating a smooth slush event!

To: Memidland@aol.com
Subject: Re: Thank you all for orchestrating a smooth slush event!
From: Jake Hodges <jake@codeworm.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:43:00 -0800
I agree it was very tight and very technical.  I got to ride in a few
different cars in fun runs so I had a chance to see it from a variety
of perspectives, and there was a good flow to it if you got it all
right.

For me it was a real treat.  It's easy to make the "bull in a china
shop" analogy to describe how I felt driving James' powerful and
sensitive car through a course like that.  It was a fantastic
opportunity for me to practice some self control and looking ahead.
If you got behind on the first half, it was very painful.  I am
always fascinated by how much better it goes when I actually looked
out of the car!

I like to bang off the rev limiter in third gear as much as the next
guy, but it's good to shake it up too.  That course stressed keeping
the car composed and following a very precise line, and it punished
us a lot more than usual for indiscretions.  That was what I enjoyed
about it. We shouldn't have courses that technical all the time since
we have to get rookies up to a place where they can capitalize on an
opportunity like Sunday's.   But speaking as someone who's learning a
new and challenging car, I know I'll do better next time I encounter
a slow spot on a fast course.

Jake