RE: SFR attendance dropping faster than it would appear at

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: SFR attendance dropping faster than it would appear at
From: "Navid Kahangi" <navid@xperformance.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:19:14 -0700
> Actually, having lived in another region (central florida) and run
> with several clubs
> here & there I think the SFR people are about as serious a group of
> autocrossers
> as I have ever seen. Certainly the SFR group is quite dedicated
> compared to the
> marque clubs (Porsche/BMW/Lotus), the local clubs (e.g. empire,
> former NASA), etc.

The original post by Rich compared SFR's attendance to AAS and Sac chapter,
not central Florida, marque clubs or NASA.  I was replying to his message.
Everything is relative.

> I would admit that the SFR autocrossers might be the most *spoiled*
> autocrossers
> I have ever met. I don't mean that in a negative way -- there are
> just so many
> opportunities to run practically in our back yards that we don't
> _have_ to travel
> to distant sites, and we can afford to watch a world series game
> without feeling
> like we are missing out :).

I still like "casual" better than "spoiled", but mine seems to provoke more
reaction for some reason.

> > ...and our hardcore autoxers because they have found homes in other
> > clubs.
>
> Where are the 'hardcore' autocrossers going, Navid? AAS?

Yes!

> I go to AAS when I can, but it really takes the whole weekend to make
> the long
> drive worthwhile so I often choose to attend a half-day SFR event
> instead. If
> that defines me as casual rather than serious you are setting a
> pretty high bar.

OK, if you don't like "casual" go with "spoiled" then.  Again, the question
was attendance and I offered my explanation.  I think I was very clear on
where I thought the bar was.

> To me, someone who spends thousands of dollars on autox cars & equipment
> and shows up 15+ weekends of the year to autocross is a pretty
> serious hobbyist.

Why would you spend all that money and time and not go a few more miles to
run on a better surface and get more seat time?  Spoiled?  One person's
serious is another person's casual.  That's why I set the bar before I made
my point.

> And since most of us don't work in the industry, that's what we are
> -- hobbyists.

If that's a knock on me because of my shop, let me assure you, it is still a
hobby.  Otherwise, I'd be still in my high-tech job MAKING money.

--Navid