Re: street tire classes

To: "John Kelly" <76067.1750@compuserve.com>, ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: street tire classes
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:50:19 -0500

Message text written by "PAUL TIBBALS"

"the needs & wants cannot be
fully understood by the dozen or two that have the urge to be on the SC."

It's those people with the "urge" that make it all happen. Hmm, works that
way in other arenas too. <G>.
So first, let's respect what the SC has done.
The SC over the years has developed a pretty good operation. We are one of
the few regions in SCCA that regularly attracts 200+ entries. If we allowed
non-members in as well we would be ovr run, beyond our region's
slow-learning capabilities to run an event.

        Just because you see a specific tire on a grid doesn't mean it's
the only tire worth having. It may be the ONE, but we have a lot of copy
cats. It's the easy way. They won't or are unable, to conduct tests to
determine what works best. What you see is the "Hot set up." Nothing more.

        Another class with controversy is Novice. I see it as a way to keep
the newbies out of the winner's circle. Do you really know that first timer
is a beginner?  Et cetera.
        The way it was penalized the people who had to WORK during the
Street Tire class. That was unfair. Hence the change. And what it came with
was a removal of the Index. I think the Index, while sincerely built, is
not the way to run an automotive competition.

--John Kelly