Wheel bearing

To: ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wheel bearing
From: pault151@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 04:04:13 +0000
Joe C said:
<From: Joe Ciarcia
It was indeed the wheel bearing. The hub needed to be
replaced too as the bearing was just flopping around
in there. I'd have thought that there would be more
warning if the damage was so extensive that it took
the hub out with it. What still throws me for a loop
is that when I jacked it up that wheel had no play in
it at all. Go figure.>

Weird sounding but mirrors my last wheel bearing closely.  It still passed
tech, I had more play in my bushings.  But mine also destroyed the hub.  I'm
not sure what value the tech inspection of the wheels adds, based on this,
other than detecting loose or missing wheel nuts.  (Both front wheel bearings
went out within a month or two, 150,000 miles and maybe a hundred autocrosses +
3 track days.  Next time I replace them both simultaneously.... Autocross
promotes even wear!)

And on that nutty subject I once ran a Sacramento event on a wheel which had
nuts that had not been torqued properly (2 workers not communicating about
which wheels had been done and not done) to the point that on my drive out of
the parking lot, I heard the wheel bumping back and forth on the studs.  AFTER
four runs.
8-(     Tech didn't find that either.

Please note that this is in no way disparagement of the quality or diligence of
Tech!!
PaulT