RE: How accurate are our timers?

To: "John Kelly" <76067.1750@compuserve.com>, <groups@pursued-with.net>,
Subject: RE: How accurate are our timers?
From: <rbrown7@covad.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:11:43 -0000
I used to use run-length limited codes also in the disk biz also.  A further
advance in detection technology came about starting about 5 years ago with
partial response channels.  One is called "PRML" which stands for "partial
response, maximum liklihood".  We liked to call it "Partially right, mostly
lucky" instead.... but I digress.

Even Crystal oscillator frequencies change with temperature.  They go up
when it gets hotter, down when it gets colder.  Also, propagation delays
through electronics change with temperature; bipolar gets faster, MOS get's
slower.  So, when it's 50 degrees in the morning and a car posts a .00x and
then later in the afternoon when it's 80 degrees that same car can run the
same time but it's a .00y, that's y.

BTW, drives have become a commodity... kind of like table salt.  When I
started in the drive business 25 years ago capacity cost over $500,000 a
Megabyte, now it costs less than 1/2 a cent per Megabyte.

-- Rick