RE: How accurate are our timers?

To: <groups@pursued-with.net>, "'Richard Urschel'"
Subject: RE: How accurate are our timers?
From: "Rick Brown" <rbrown7@covad.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:13:14 -0700
Ok, I'll bite.  For all you tech types here are some of the sources of
timing errors.  I'm sure this list can come up with others:

1.  Variations on what part of the car trips the lights.
2.  Variable trip delays between start lights and stop lights.
3.  Capture window granularity associated with polling for light trips.
4.  Variation in time based frequencies, eg, a crystal oscillator is more
stable than a cheaper ceramic resonator and crystals themselves come in
various grades.
5.  Drift and variation caused by voltage and temperature fluctuations over
the course of the event.

I suspect that our current system is much more accurate than the old Radio
Shack encoded, white light timing head based system that actually had a
relay in each head with all the variation attendant from a mechanical relay
closing.  I bet that system was only accurate to around a tenth of a second
and bet our current system is accurate to around a hundredth of a second or
a smidgen better.  For those of who think it's accurate to a thousandths of
a second; dream on, and I don't mean Steven Tyler.

-- Rick