Rx-8 isn't my prescription

To: "autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rx-8 isn't my prescription
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:22:45 -0800
John S said,

    By the way, some of us got to play with the RX-8 at the RevItUp
    event.  Peter made an amazing run through the test drive course with a
    carload of people.  The two of us in the back seat thought that there
    was plenty of room.

No offense intended, but you-all must not be anywhere near the Big'n'Tall end
of the spectrum.  The RX-8 joins the long list of "sports cars" which I can
never own, given a serious case of headliner contact syndrome.  My brother's
only about 6' tall and the back seat was  totally unsuited to him, even with
the front seat as far forward as we could get it with me curled up in it.  I
could see average women and kids back there, maybe.  Typical of the RX-7 Gen I
and II's, there was a lot of legroom, just not a lot of headroom, in front.

On another note, took the Mazda6 on their little driving line course.  Broke a
thumbnail in the slalom trying to get the power steering to respond quickly
enough to make it through, very bad lag.  No such problem on the 3 sedans, but
two different 6's had this problem.  Unimpressed.  The 3's were tight enough
handling, but were nearly as small inside as the RX-8.  I've gotten used to it
over the years, this size discrimination thing.  ;-)

The lines at RevItUp were unacceptable to me.  Just like at the Volvo event
the previous weekend (both proctored by AMCI and held at Alameda Point) the
number of cars by mid-day was not anywhere large enough for the prospective
drivers.  I just won't wait 45 minutes for a test drive at an event I've paid
for (Mazda) nor be satisfied with one run (total!) in two plus hours at Volvo.
"Sorry, come on back after the next group's introduction is done, and you can
get in line again.  Maybe it will be another 45 minutes."  Not.

PaulT