turning the other fender

To: "autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: turning the other fender
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 12:06:57 -0700
I said, then Rich interleaved,
    On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 23:37:12 -0700 PAUL TIBBALS <pault151@attbi.com>
wrote:
    >It looks like these summed together average like 190.  This
significantly
    >underestimates the average based on the event totals reported every
month,
    >which is 237.  Dunno why, some fine point of the scripts and how they
    >calculate the average I'd guess, just a difference of maybe 1.5 per class
in
    >the negative direction.

  All averages are rounded up. You left out 31 classes.   As Jack Van
Wettering said to me as I stalled the Lotus while pulling onto the trailer;
"Rookie."

  Rich
Hey, I'll cop to that.  But at least it was clear what Jack was referring to,
however unkindly  :)  OK, you must be doing the Yoda thing, letting me dig my
own grave...."No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try."

Busily rechecks calcs....Could you possibly be referring to the fact that
Jerry's numbers that I used don't include the Ladies or Novice classes?
<BLUSH> I went to the current 2003/Championship/points page, clicked on each
class, recorded the average that was shown.  I figured that was less work.  I
just didn't realize that he didn't include those.  (On the plus side, I
figured out how to make my spreadsheet do the counting for me.  As a quick
check, adding -L and -N only moved Super Stock from 6 to 7.4.  Other classes
varied widely.)

The original point was to look at the varied participation rates....  <<8-)
In fact, adding the Novices only makes the gulf between the Prepared/Modified
classes and the others wider in most cases.  The only classes where Novices
average more than 3 or Ladies average more than 1 are BS, DS, GS, STX, STS,
STS-L, SM, and SM-L.  And as Rich pointed out, these are all rounded UP.

This is NOT to denigrate in any way the women who run in the respective base
classes, by the way.  The point is only that considering those separately
doesn't much affect the statistics I was presenting.  Where classes have a lot
of Novices it's obviously a popular entry point!  Where they don't, maybe
that's a sign of where to work.  As far as SCCA is concerned, they need to
look at how ages of participants vary, as nearly all clubs/organizations in
the U.S. are having problems with graying participation.

Perhaps we can just use the numbers of Novices to suggest which classes are
easiest to enter as first timers, since few will do their first racing in
trailered cars.

PaulT    Overanalyzer (R)