Re: FW: [ClubZ Main] Stolen 350Z rims

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: FW: [ClubZ Main] Stolen 350Z rims
From: "red 318is" <red318is@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 21:42:49 +0000
I like Ruben's idea although I'm not particularly eager to pay more $$ per
event. Even if we don't pay to have real security, we could still create one
or two additional worker positions. Yeh, I may be loco to suggest this as it
seems there's a shortage of workers already. Oh well.

Going along with the Security idea, here are more suggestions:
-encouraging visible membership badges kinda like press badges (badge
holders to insert your membership card). To make this work, membership cards
should have pictures (more on this later). This would facilitate the
security guys' job so that at a glance you know who's a member and who's
not. Or at the very least, it would reduce the number of folks to watch out
for. Non-members, not hanging out with other members or watching the runs,
should be easier to spot. Lone non-members hanging out in the lot could be
considered suspicious.

-of course, if the thief is a member then curses and damnation on him/her. I
guess the neighborhood watch thing will have to go for this one. Also
Security could also take note of:
folks packing up wheels and no tools.
folks packing up 8 wheels (unless they have 8-wheelers <grin>).
folks driving around the lot more than once instead of parking

-In the spirit of safety, no confrontation would be necessary. Just jot down
the person's description, car description/license, and suspicious activity.
Approaching/talking to the individual in a
non-threatening/non-confrontational may be a simple deterrent. If
something's obviously wrong or suspicious-looking, radioing the trailer for
assistance could be considered.

-about the membership pictures thingie, I would volunteer to make it work.
There's probably going to be a small cost ($2-$5) associated with it for
materials (sorry, I'm not independently wealthy). In case you're wondering,
I don't own a business, I'm not looking at this as a money-making thing. I
don't even own a digital camera (been planning to get one though). If anyone
cares about this idea, I can elaborate in another post.

All of this may not prevent a determined thief, but I would bet that most of
the thefts that occurred were "casual." Plus it may create a better sense of
awareness for all of us. I guess it sounds a bit elaborate for just a
deterrent. Still considering current world events, increasing
security/awareness is not a bad idea.

My 99 cents.

-Arnold (quickly donning helmet, flame-retardant suit)