Re: California Vehicle Verifier?

To: "BayArea Team.Net" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: California Vehicle Verifier?
From: Shawn Shaw <sdbertone@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:27:27 -0700 (PDT)
Brooks,

I had a similar situ in buying a vehicle with no
title/registration and it needed to be "verified" (a
scanty descriptive used to say that they will check
the vehicle for theft or for use in a crime through a
national database).

You have plenty of time to get the vehicle down to
Redwood City because, typically, the CHP schedules
these inspections 2-3 months out.

Shawn

> On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Talley, Brooks wrote:
>
> > You may have seen my post about selling my '86
> t/a.  In rounding up
> > keys, documentation, etc... I discovered that I
> can't find the title
> > (but I *did* find the keys, so don't be thinking
> anything nefarious).
> > No problem, says I, and hop down to the DMV to
> file a request for
> > duplicate title.  Big problem, they say -- the car
> hasn't been
> > registered in 7 years and has fallen out of their
> computer.
> >
> > So I've got this "vehicle verification" form that
> I need to have filled
> > out by a "DMV representative, california licensed
> vehicle verifier,
> > authorized auto club, or peace officer" so that I
> can get the title that
> > I need to sell the thing.
> >
> > Thing is, the car isn't running, and I have
> neither trailer now tow
> > vehicle to get it to DMV.  My local police say
> they don't do this kind
> > of thing, call the highway patrol.  The highway
> patrol says they don't
> > do house calls; tow it down to redwood city.  AAA
> says that they don't
> > do that kind of thing.
> >
> > So I'm left with this "licensed vehicle verifier".
>  I see on DMV's
> > website that I could become one myself for
> $50/year + $5000 bond, which
> > doesn't sound entirely appealing. I can't seem to
> find any resources for
> > finding these folks via google or the yellow
> pages.
> >
> > Any ideas, anyone?
> >
> > Thanks
> > -b