California Vehicle Verifier?

To: "BayArea Team.Net" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: California Vehicle Verifier?
From: "Talley, Brooks" <brooks@frnk.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:28:54 -0700
You may have seen my post about selling my '86 t/a.  In rounding up
keys, documentation, etc... I discovered that I can't find the title
(but I *did* find the keys, so don't be thinking anything nefarious).
No problem, says I, and hop down to the DMV to file a request for
duplicate title.  Big problem, they say -- the car hasn't been
registered in 7 years and has fallen out of their computer.

So I've got this "vehicle verification" form that I need to have filled
out by a "DMV representative, california licensed vehicle verifier,
authorized auto club, or peace officer" so that I can get the title that
I need to sell the thing.

Thing is, the car isn't running, and I have neither trailer now tow
vehicle to get it to DMV.  My local police say they don't do this kind
of thing, call the highway patrol.  The highway patrol says they don't
do house calls; tow it down to redwood city.  AAA says that they don't
do that kind of thing.

So I'm left with this "licensed vehicle verifier".  I see on DMV's
website that I could become one myself for $50/year + $5000 bond, which
doesn't sound entirely appealing. I can't seem to find any resources for
finding these folks via google or the yellow pages.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks
-b