Re: Should I eat my hat yet?

To: Jake Hodges <jake@codeworm.com>
Subject: Re: Should I eat my hat yet?
From: Yeoh Yiu <squid@panix.com>
Date: 14 Sep 2002 14:24:14 -0400
Jake Hodges <jake@codeworm.com> writes:

> Help me decide if I should eat my hat...
>
> You veterans will be a lot better at interpreting the results than I
> am..  I was sure that the Mini Cooper would dominate HS.  Instead, a BMW
> 318i took the first place trophy.  I wonder what shocks he's running!
>
> Then again, of the ten trophies, Mini Coopers took eight of them at places
> 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.  The only Honda to trophy was the 89 Civic Si in
> 5th sponsored by the Evolution Driving School.  (Go little Honda!)  Given
> that there were 7 unique models in the top 25, would you say that the Mini
> dominated?
>
> It would be interesting to know the various drivers experience relative to
> each other.. For example, if this was the first nationals for most of the
> Mini drivers, and veterans were booted 10 positions down the order, I might
> not have to eat my hat.
>
> Interstingly, the Mini Cooper S did not make such a bold showing.  Only one
> two-driver Cooper S was entered in DS, and the drivers came in 16th and
> 32nd to a mix of Integra Type R's, BMW 325IS's, and IS300's. (Go Kumho
> Kevin and Derek!)  Hmmm..  You don't think that a bunch of people bought
> the "less good" model just so they could trophy in HS at nationals, do you?

I think exactly that.  On a horsepower course the MINIs are
disadvantaged as compared to the 318 and Honda Si.

One Cooper-S owner (Brian Garfield) borrowed a Cooper for the Pro Solo
Finale, (and won HS).  The extra power of the Cooper-S is hard to use
exiting corners.  There's no limited slip available for the MINI (in
stock), but the WRX an Type-R and some BMW 318 have LSD.

As for the MINI drivers, I know Mark Chiles and Brad Lockhart and Steve King
are 'experienced', and Abner Perry humbly describes himself as 'an also ran
for 17 years'.

BTW, HS-L had MINIs in 1st and 2nd.

STS had a stock MINI in I think 44th, with staffer from MINI-USA
co-driving.  This should help sell some mods, or (better) inspire BMW
to come up with an ///M Williams Sport Plus Plus package.

squid.