Re:Your first experience on R compounds

To: veloimpreza@yahoo.com
Subject: Re:Your first experience on R compounds
From: "Richard Urschel" <osp13@mybluelight.com>
Date: 15 Aug 2002 21:52:21 -0000
> They really are quite abrupt when they let go.
>I can clearly see the benefit of requiring street
>tires in the novice class and I'm glad I didn't start
>running R's early on.

I haven't even started thinking about the chapter
entitled "So you think you might want to start
running on R tires," but here's the essence of
the driving part:

Many drivers talk about how R tires give little
warning and let go abruptly sending your car
spinning off course. I don't want to argue the
physics of which tire provides how much warning,
but I'll tell you they all let go abruptly, and
it is possible to learn to perceive and correct
their behavior before reaching that point. It all
depends on your perception of time.

With higher grip and resulting faster speeds R
tires will provide less time to react than street
tires. What you need to read an R tire is seat
time on R tires. After awhile your perception of
time speeds up, and you will be able to read
and react to R tires beginning to exceed their
optimal grip. An easy test of whether you've
reached that point is to take an autocross
run on street tires. If it doesn't feel like
slow motion, you still need more time on R tires.

Once up to speed on R tires you get to do it all
over again once you start thinking slicks would
be more fun.

Rich Urschel

Sign up for Internet Service under $10 dollars a month, at
http://isp.BlueLight.com