Re: Unsolicited Newbie Commentary and Questions

To: Bay_Area_Autocross_List <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Unsolicited Newbie Commentary and Questions
From: Randy Noll <rnoll98@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 17:06:09 -0700 (PDT)
Someone a while back suggested a method used where you get a certain
amount (say 6) of "points" to modify your car and fit in the "6-point"
class. Tires might be 4 points, sway bars 2, coilovers 3, etc. Sounded
like a really cool idea for something like a BMW club, but one that
would never work nationally in the SCCA. Regardless, this might be the
best answer to your specific issue. Just an idea, and not one i'd try
to push anywhere.

> I have yet to find a class that matches well with what I want to do
> with my
> car.  Though it may be a radical concept to some here I may actually
> want to
> perform modifications to my car that are not solely autoX motivated.

Herein lies an internal conflict. Though you aren't asking, you're
implying that you want to setup a car not for autocross, but want it to
be competitive at autocross, or at least fit somewhere.

> There are modifications to my car that I would like to make that I
> believe
> are simple and reasonable that would put me into a class where I
> would
> certainly be out of the competitive range.

Yes, everything you've listed below will fit into a Street Prepared
class (I think it's either DSP or BSP). One thing to note though:
unless you are willing to buy the uber-trick coilovers and use them to
their potential for autocross (usually means mega-rate springs, and
very stiff shocks), your car probably won't handle as well on course as
someone who does.

> Herein lies perhaps the
> most
> generally interesting portion of this diatribe.  The types of folks
> who are
> likely to be interested in autoX are likely to do things to their
> cars
> before the first event they attend that will put them into a prepared
> class
> where they will likely be intimidated and out classed.  Of course
> this
> should not come as a surprise to these folks but I think it does
> surprise
> them and I am guessing that a lot of attrition happens here.

I think a lot of that is setting expectations too high. Most people,
and almost all men :) think they're excellent drivers. And when they
can't just show up and do well they get discouraged. Nobody would just
show up at a golf course having only played miniature golf and expect
to shoot a 72. And you definitely wouldn't show up with only a putter
and pitching wedge.

Sounds like you're heading pretty solidly in the direction of SP, and
could possibly build a decently fast street/autocross car. Add some
Hoosiers and you'd have a serious contender, or run indexed in street
tire.

Randy
HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com