RE: Lotus

To: "BayArea Team.Net" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lotus
From: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 12:05:01 -0400
Hello Scott Zediker, here's the info you were looking for:

Q. Where can I purchase a Lotus Race Car such as the Elise Sport 190?
A. Lotus Race Cars are distributed in North America by Lotus Cars USA, Inc.
They can be contacted at 1 800 245 6887.

I don't think a car from Lotus Cars USA, Inc. can be called a "Gray Market"
car.
The Elise is supposed to be certified (smog etc) and for sale in late
2002/early 2003. The company says they've sold over 10,000 Elise models
world wide so far, just not too many in the U.S.

After acquiring the rights to the Lotus 7, Caterham has been building the 7
model since about 1983, I'll have to get back you on where the Caterham
dealers are in the U.S. I know one is in Denver, CO. Thus the 7 has been in
continuous production and sold in the U.S. since 1960, over 40 years! (Pat
Kelly's 7A was originally purchased at Hollywood Sports Cars in the L.A.
area by Jerry Demele of Stockton, CA. Pat is the second owner.)

Doubt if you can buy a NEW MG of any kind or Fiat as those companies
withdrew from the American market in the mid-'70s. Fiat did market the X1/9
as a Bertone for several years after but by 1980 they were gone. (With GM
recently buying into Fiat we may see Alfa Romeos at Chevy dealers. <G>)
        Bruce Qvale at British Motors told me recently his company has
given up on that expensive Italian car they were selling and will soon be
importing MGs again from the successor company in England. He couldn't tell
me when or what, just that BMC will handle the MG marque.
        Several years ago British Leyland did offer "Heritage MGBs" for a
time so owners of older Bs could install their running gear on a new tub.
Haven't heard much about that project lately.

        In sum you can purchase a new Lotus today but you can't purchase a
new MG or Fiat.
This is significant only to those people who insist cars in SCCA Solo II
Prepared classes be able to be purchased from a dealer. That's funny
because you can't buy a new version of THEIR car but you can buy a new
Lotus! From the factory!
        In case I forgot to explain, it's MG Midget and Fiat X1/9 and Fiat
850 owners who have been making the most "noise" with the Solo Events Board
lately.
        Who was it that said "If you live in a glass house, don't throw
rocks."?

--John Kelly