RE: bmw != POS , was Re: Jr. Cart Entrants Round 9?

To: "'james creasy'" <Black94PGT@pacbell.net>,
Subject: RE: bmw != POS , was Re: Jr. Cart Entrants Round 9?
From: "Thana, Peter {High~Palo Alto}" <PETER.THANA@ROCHE.COM>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 15:17:10 -0700
>sunday we test drove a 1999 740i sport package BMW... i toasted the brakes
>just test driving it on the street!  smelled up the whole place when we
took
>it back.  a nice car and certainly not a POS, but so numb you would learn
>every bad habit in the book trying to drive that in a 'sporty' manner.  by
>'numb' i mean you can give it ridiculously violent inputs and the car
>responds very smoothly.  difficult to get the rear out.  (ps this behemoth
>is for the babe, not me!)

Not sure what you're trying to prove, James.  That BMWs are lily-livered
pansy cars not capable of living up to your considerable machismo?  If so it
sounds like scored a mighty victory over this poor car.  Go test drive a
bunch of other cars with 115 inch wheelbases and 4250lbs of weight to carry
around and then tell us which one is "numb".  I've personally tried out a
740iL w/o sport package, and was amazed by how small it feels relative to
its actual size.  I pushed the car harder than its target market ever would
and was  impressed, but obviously I didn't give it enough "ridiculously
violent inputs".  Saying that a two ton luxury sedan doesn't respond like a
shifter kart is like driving your FFR and complaining that it's too loud and
doesn't have cupholders.  Extrapolating your experience with a 740 and one
person's broken part on an M3 to show that BMWs are not capable of surviving
track use is just plain stupid.

Peter

my friend's E36 M3 busted the frame where the front sway bar mounts.

to be fair, you gotta remember that these are mass produced as street cars,
not race cars.  they arent designed to take the abuse of autocross or track
driving.  as people abuse the new cars they discover the weak spots and can
beef them up.

sunday we test drove a 1999 740i sport package BMW... i toasted the brakes
just test driving it on the street!  smelled up the whole place when we took
it back.  a nice car and certainly not a POS, but so numb you would learn
every bad habit in the book trying to drive that in a 'sporty' manner.  by
'numb' i mean you can give it ridiculously violent inputs and the car
responds very smoothly.  difficult to get the rear out.  (ps this behemoth
is for the babe, not me!)

-james c