RE: exhaust temp gauges, where to find info to use?

To: "'Scot Zediker'" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: exhaust temp gauges, where to find info to use?
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 12:01:53 -0700
Running on the lean side can be good for top end power, but it makes the
engine run hotter. And it also can cause throttle hesitation and surging
at constant RPM operation. Ideally you want it lean enough for strong
top end, then richen it as needed to get smooth throttle response.

But I've never used exhaust temperatures to adjusted carb mixture. The
carbs I've worked on had an "idle drop" procedure to set the idle
mixture. You close the screw all the way, then open it a specified # of
turns (usually 2-3 turns). Then start the engine and let it warm up
completely. Attach a HIGHLY accurate tach to the engine. Then slowly
open (richen) the screw and you'll see the RPM climbing. Continue
opening the screw until the RPM reaches its max value. Then close the
screw until the RPM drops about 50 RPM from its peak value. Then, from
that setting, open the screw a specified # of turns, usuall 1/2 to 1
turn.

After you adjust the mixture like this for each carb, you then attach
vacuum gauges to the intake and synchronize the carb throttle plate
positions so the vacuum in each is the same.

The basic procedure is the same for most carbs, but the details (# of
turns) varies from carb to carb and engine to engine.

Good luck,