Re: Q: New Hoosiers: scrub in or race ready ?

To: squid@panix.com
Subject: Re: Q: New Hoosiers: scrub in or race ready ?
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 23:03:36 EDT
On Saturday, April 20, 2002, at 12:33 , Yeoh Yiu wrote:

> I've ordered some Hoosiers for solo2 use, from TireRack.
> (in size 215/40/16 which is not listed on tire rack.com).
>
> Normally new tires require gentle driving for the
> first ~200 miles because
>
> 1. the lubricants used on the rim when mounting can allow
> the tire to spin wrt the rim, and then balancing will be off;

I was able to spin the rears on an RX-7 GSL-SE about 1/8 turn in 12 Nationals
runs (mounted for Sunday's practice on Sun AM, marked tires on Monday, had a
co-driver on Tues/Wed), and interestingly, the fronts went about 1/16 turn
the other direction from braking forces only.  I agree with Kevin about not
balancing autocross only tires...

Charlie