Re: Q: New Hoosiers: scrub in or race ready ?

To: Yeoh Yiu <squid@panix.com>
Subject: Re: Q: New Hoosiers: scrub in or race ready ?
From: Kevin Stevens <kevin_stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 12:46:05 -0700
On Saturday, April 20, 2002, at 12:33 , Yeoh Yiu wrote:

> I've ordered some Hoosiers for solo2 use, from TireRack.
> (in size 215/40/16 which is not listed on tire rack.com).
>
> Normally new tires require gentle driving for the
> first ~200 miles because
>
> 1. the lubricants used on the rim when mounting can allow
> the tire to spin wrt the rim, and then balancing will be off;
> 2. the new tire is still greasy, and will not grip well.
> 3. a gentle heat cycle will increase the tire's longevity.
>
> I ordered the tirerack heat cycling service.
> I expect this service takes care of #3.
>
> What about concerns #2 and #3 ?
>
> Should I drive my Hoosiers on a street for a bit, or should
> the first time I use them be a timed solo2 run ?
>
> squid.

2 and 3 are dealt with by the heat cycling.  1 is kind of interesting,
but I've never heard of it as a concern in autocross; only drag racing
where you have low pressures and high torque.  I suggest you mark the
tire/rim, drive normally at the event, and see if it's an issue.  I
don't balance autocross tires anyway.

KeS