Re: Please help explain the different events to a Novice

To: Stacey <swilbur@sprynet.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Please help explain the different events to a Novice
From: "Pat Kelly" <lollipop487@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:34:36 -0700
Stacey,
    We divide the year into two series, the Regional Championship Series
(the long, maybe 18-event series), and the Slush Series (shorter).
The champ series ends just prior to the trip to Nationals, and for many of
our more serious autocrossers that is the end of the season.
    Years ago, we realized that a lot of folks came into the sport sort of
part-way through the champ series, and would like to compete in a series, so
we developed the facetiously named Slush Series--no slush yet in 30 years of
running! :)
    The names round or event mean the same thing.

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results/2002/supps.html#awards
> page that all the different types of events count toward year end points
> and trophy,
> however only 6 of the 8 event count and only 6 of the 7 event ones count.
    That means that if there is an 8 event series two of your worst scores
will be dropped; if there are 16, then your 4 worst event scores will be
dropped. This allows for people who have other things to do, and can miss an
event or more without a point penalty. (Or worse, if your car breaks and you
need time to repair it).

> How many of the 10 event ones count?
Ten evens would drop only two; it's not until you get to 12 events that
three will be dropped.

> So SFR has 24 events, so I have to do at least 12 of them and
> score in how many of them to be eligible?
That would be for the champ series, if we have 17 events you have to run 9
of those; for the slush series, if we have 7 events, you must attend 4 to be
eligible for year-end trophy.
There are two sets of trophies given out, one for each series.

> If 12 is the magic number does it matter when they are done?
> Example: can one run in two of the 3 series and not in the slush events
> and still get the required number or do they need to do half of all events
> in each series to be considered for awards/trophies?
Each of the two series are totally separate and do not affect each other.
BTW, the award banquet is usually held in January of the following year,
2003 for this year, and is a lot of fun.

> Are there awards for each series and then for year end too?
>
> I am asking not because I expect to ever get an award but I would like
> to understand the process.
Understand and hope this info helps.
--Pat Kelly