Re: Shocks

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shocks
From: jake@codeworm.com
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 08:37:31 -0800 (PST)
Woo!  That hurt.

Sure, as in all things there's a measure of "you get
what you pay for" in the world of adjustable shocks.
It all depends on your needs.  The decision was made
for me by my college student budget.

For example, in HS, Alan Gruner is running Koni
adjustables (I think..  Or is it Tokiko?) and I'm on
the slouch KYB AGX beater shocks.  Alan is a much more
mature and smooth driver than I am, but now that we're
on more even tires, I'm gaining on his times.  (I'm
comin' for you Alan! :) )  As far as the adjustment
range goes, in my stock '95 Honda del Sol Si with no
rear sway bar, I run full firm in the back and full
soft in the front.  Expirimenting with adjustment
hasn't proved very useful.  It would be interesting to
know what settings Alan is running in his Civic Si
hatchback.

Of course, the shocks vary from model to model.  My
friend has KYB AGX shocks on his 2000 Nissan Maxima,
and he leaves them on full firm all the time.  The car
isn't uncomfortably rough like mine is on full firm.
(I can't even focus my eyes on parts of 280 if all four
shocks are set at '4')  In fact, the Maxima is just
right.  Our recent blitz to Death Valley and back was
totally fantastic.  Great high speed handling, and
comfort too.  They might not be world-beating autocross
shocks, but they were a huge improvement over stock,
and just like with my expirience, it took my friend a
few weeks before he was able to get comfortable driving
up to the car's new limits.

Nevertheless, If your stock shocks are 90K miles old
like mine were, you'll be floored with the difference.
I assure you you'll enjoy twiddling your KYBs.  I've
had hours and hours of fun with mine.

Jake Hodges

On Thu, 07 March 2002, Kenneth Allan Mitchell wrote

> Rob:
>
> They don't. You get what you pay for. Koni is a far
more superior shock
> than the KYB's for autocrossing. Koni's handle the
quick transitions. I
> don't think KYB's can handle anything. If you want to
go fast than your
> competitor on KYB's, you need to be on Koni's.
>
> What is the year, make, and model of car that you're
driving? Allow me
> to provide you a quote for set of Koni's.
>
> Rob Weinstock wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone used KYB AGX's for autocrossing?
> >
> > How do they compare with the single adjustable
products from Koni?