Re: Saftey Concerns?

To: Stacey <swilbur@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Saftey Concerns?
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 00:04:03 -0800
On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 11:24:40PM -0800, Stacey wrote:

>       I worked in station 1B or is it 1.5 by the pole.  By the time
>       I watched the car pass and then go up around the corner at 2
>       and then head back to 1 facing right at us and then spinning
>       out in the sweeper another car would already be started and
>       headed for us again with my back to it.

This is exactly the sort of situation in which you should a) radio in
to the trailer about the problem, and b) pick somewhere else to
stand.  Usually, they talk about this at the drivers' meeting.  In
fact, I'm pretty sure I heard it in the afternoon meeting.  But I know
there is a lot to remember when you're new.  The underlying principle is:
you are responsible for your safety.  If you feel that something is
unsafe, notify the people in charge immediately so that it can get
corrected.

>6) I was not sure when to actually use the red flag.  I know
>that if I see an unsafe situation that I should use it but I was
>unsure that if someone else was using one should everyone else also
>wave the read flag and stop everything or only the section that was
>having problems?  I remember one case when there was a safety issue
>near the finish and no one was red flagging but the announcer said to
>and wanted the following car to be red flagged as well but none was
>given.  Should we all have red flagged to try to get the cars
>attention?

If the trailer calls for a red flag, whip out the red flag.  The more
flags waving, the better the chances of the drivers seeing one.  If
you know you are downstream of the red flag, let the cars going by you
finish.  If you are upstream of the red flag, use your judgement about
whether the situation will clear in time for a car going by you to
safely finish the course at full speed.  When in doubt, whip it out.
Better to lose a couple minutes of daylight than expensive bodywork.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94