Re: How racers drive

To: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Subject: Re: How racers drive
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:22:56 -0800
On Saturday, February 23, 2002, at 03:08 , Michael R. Clements wrote:

> Jerry, I admire your purist attitude. It's true that phone is a bad
> distraction but remember that some people are more dangerous behind the
> wheel even without any distractions. The term "unsafe at any speed"
> comes to mind.

True but irrelevant.

> The research I have read is inconclusive in this area. It is certain
> that
> using a hand held cell phone does increase the probability for mistakes
> and
> collisions. But this fact alone is a red herring because tuning the
> radio or
> having a conversation with a passenger also increases the risk. What
> needs to
> be shown, and to my knowledge has yet to be shown, is whether using the
> phone
> increases the risk more than these other distractions.

The research is crap.  Here's the nub:  Over 50% of the overtly
dangerous things that happen to me on the road prove to have been
performed by a driver on a cell phone.  And I'm not preselecting - I
almost never see the phone (or the driver, clearly) BEFORE the clown
action occurs.  Anyone with an open mind can reproduce these results.
The research is unnecessary crap.

KeS