Re: AutoX School -- street tires vs. race tires

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>, Andy McKee
Subject: Re: AutoX School -- street tires vs. race tires
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:17:37 -0800
Katie Kelly wrote in conection with all the advice being given to Joey
Jarosz on what tires to use for the 3-Com school.

>My own experience:
>
>A co-driver and I did the Evolution School at Mather. The tires were
>destroyed by lunch, which is what I was expecting, and even wanted, since I
>didn't want to do that to my street tires. Still, it was uncomfortable after
>that.
>
>3-Com is more forgiving, though, to tires. I still would stick to street
>tires. If you can drive fast on street tires, you can drive fast on anything.
>
>Katie

Although not the main thrust of Katie's comments (and I do not question her
"Evolution" experience), I take exception to the statement "3-Com is more
forgiving, though, to tires."

I've concluded, at least with my '96 GS, that my tire wear rate at 3-Com is
slightly more than double the Mather wear rate. This conclusion is derived
from detailed tire wear measurements taken on three sets of Kumhos and five
sets of Hoosiers in '99, '00 and '01. The data supporting that conclusion
was derived from 8 3-Com events and 21 Mather events. BTW, during that same
period, measurements from 11 Oakland events indicate that my Oakland wear
rate is also more than twice the Mather rate and slightly greater than that
at 3-Com. The limited data I've collected from GGF is not adequate for me to
reach any meaningful conclusions.

        Don