Re: effects of switching from 245/45/17 to 235/40/17??

To: Black94PGT@pacbell.net, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: effects of switching from 245/45/17 to 235/40/17??
From: Toy4speed@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:49:59 EST
In a message dated 1/29/2002 10:31:47 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Black94PGT@pacbell.net writes:

> other than ride height, what differences can i expect?  this is on a 17x9
> wheel.  the rear tires will remain a 275/40/17 on a 17x10 wheel.

       I'm sure you have a pretty good grasp of the effects of this change
but my .02 worth:  How is your front handling ?  Understeer or good bite ?
Lower tire ht could upset front/rear weight balance, should result in more
tendency for pushing.  The 235 tires would be stretched nicely on 9' rims, so
initial response may improve, and maybe even allow you to run lower tire
pressure as less likely to have tire rollover.

> the new kumho ECSTA V700 tire isnt available in 245/45/17, however my front
> tire temps have been 20 or so degrees lower than the rears.  the smaller
> width and smaller circumference should raise the temp, correct?

       I would expect the smaller width to raise tire temp, all other things
being equal.
Look at if tire temp is fairly even across the tread.  Just having a lower
tire temp in front vs back just indicates to me with you hp, the rears are
heating up from the power.  You never spin those rear tires, right ?

> borden went fast on 275/40/17 front and rear, thats my other option.
> comments?

       Ok, I'm biased.  I like wide tires, same size front and rear.
Financially good with ability to rotate.  Yeah, I like the 275 all around
idea, just gotta figure out good tire pressure for your weight car.  You
would get 10" wheels for front too ?

Looks like a fun time in OSP this year !