Re: JIM RUSSELL CURED MY COLD!

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: JIM RUSSELL CURED MY COLD!
From: james creasy <Black94PGT@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:50:36 -0500
one thing i felt i got from driving on the big track (just in my street car
though) was a sharper sense of how the suspension loaded on turn-in, mid
corner, and exit.  it all happens so fast in autox and you are thinking
about the next corner, or even the one after that, you dont have time to
enjoy how the car responses to your inputs.

the most delicious moment for me is starting the turn-in.  as you finish
your braking and start to turn-in the suspension responds as the weight
transfers from the front of the car to the outer wheels.  you can really
feel how you use the brakes to turn the car, and the steering to make minute
adjustments to your slip angle.  then the outer springs reach maximum
compression and things settle down for a little while and the suspension
takes its mid-corner set.  i remember working on how to use the wheel to
turn quickly, but smoothly, so the suspension can react and tires fatten
their contact patches.

all this smoothness tends to make me less aggressive and less decisive in
autox and slowed me down.

but i tell myself i can feel all these things in autox, even though they
happen 1000 times faster than on the big track.

-james c