Re: Course Working

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Course Working
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 20:01:52 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

I went over and checked out that forum that someone posted about what
happened.  Another "course worker tip" that I thought of while I was
reading that...

You might not have time to go get the cone, run to the spot it belongs,
put it down, and get outta the way before the next car comes along.  There
are at least two ways to deal with this...

First, you get help.  One worker runs to get the cone, another worker
runs out to the spot it goes and you toss the cone to them.  This can work
even better if the 2nd worker takes a cone out with them and you just
bring the hit cone back in.

A second technigue is to go get the cone, get the heck outta the way and
let the next car past, then put the cone back.  This has the downside that
the course isn't correct for the next car, but the upside is that you
aren't dead.

Under no circumstances should you push it getting the cone back in place.
Having cars overlapping too fast for you to get the cones back before the
other car comes should be an inefficency problem _only_, not a safety
problem. *You* are responsible for your safety on course.  Don't assume
that the course designer put the worker stations such that you can get
that cone back before the next car comes along.  That's the goal, of
course, but sometimes it can't happen.

Similar thinking applies to any situation where you need to take more time
to put the cone back than you'd particularly like to.  For instance, the
chalk boxes around frequently hit cones will often start to disappear.
If you can't find the box, don't guess.  Keep the cone, getting outta the
way of cars as they come, until you can find the box.  If you can't find
it after a car or two, have the starter hold the start, find it, and
_re-line the box_ if needed.

Again, all MHO.

Mark