Course Working

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Course Working
From: Jim Ochi <jim_ochi@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:55:52 -0700
Good suggestions!  I'll add a few...

#9, When you get to your worker station, be sure to map out where the
course goes, and where the cars will be running.  This is especially
important if the course isn't lined, or if it's a gated course, or if
you're working a place where you can't line the course, like a slalom.

#10, Spot the places where you can safely stand - these aren't just
anywhere outside the chalk lines!  Think to yourself, "If I were a car out
of control, where would I go spinning off to?"  Also, map out your escape
routes, so if a car comes spinning towards you, you know where to
go.  Discuss these with your coworkers, so if you have to run, you don't
end up doing a Keystone Kops routine and run into each other.

#11, When you get to your worker station, check to make sure that all the
cones are in their boxes, and you know where the cones are supposed to
go.  Saves some time resetting cones if you don't have to spend a long time
trying to find the box.

#12, Be aware of what's happening at the next worker station or two
downstream - if they run into difficulties (like a car spins in their area,
or they have workers running all over the course resetting cones), you're
the one who is in
the best position to red flag the oncoming car.

#13, The numbered worker station signs are meant to show what areas need to
be covered, and the areas of responsibility.  If there are cones in that
area that are constantly hit, and it's safe to do so, move closer to those
cones instead of gathering around the sign.  If the course runs on both
sides of the station and you have enough workers, split into multiple
groups so you can cover each side of the course.

#14, If you need to use the red flag, USE it. Don't just daintily flick it
at the car going by - wave it like a FREAK! Like you're trying to signal
aliens; like you're in the middle of a bunch of pissed-off bees.  There
should be no doubt in anyone's mind that you red-flagged someone.

#15, Talk to the people assigned to your station.  If you're working with
someone you don't know, chat with them to get a feel for how much
experience they have working the course.  If you see them doing something
that you aren't comfortable with, like getting distracted, or not holding
the red flag, talk to them about it.  Or, switch jobs with them.

That's all I can think of for now - anyone else?

Jim