API Raises the bar

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net, Dennis & Sherry Armstrong
Subject: API Raises the bar
From: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 19:51:26 -0400

Message text written by Dennis & Sherry Armstrong

" Sometimes you will see a combination rating SL/CD this is a
combination gasoline diesel motor oil. This caused problems
with the ford 2300 in the late 70's, at that time the combination
was SE/CC. When owners of Ford Pintos of that era used that
combination, Their Camshafts would wear flat."

Our 1979 2.3-liter Ford Pinto used Castrol's 20-50 for its entire life,
approx. 230,000 miles before we gave it away to one of those "800"
charities.
We never had any problems with the cam.
Late in its life:
        Made the mistake of installing a 1600cc engine clutch once. <G>
Replaced that.
        The water-cooled intake manifold developed a leak.
        The gas tank rusted out due to water from condensation.
        The final problem was, apparently, a burned out valve at the
230,000-mile mark.
        That's when we gave it away after some 17 years of service.

I suspect the Castrol brand is produced at Chevron's Richmond facility. The
cardboard cases are manufactured in the Bay Area.

--John Kelly