Re: Stuff I Learned at the Evolution School

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stuff I Learned at the Evolution School
From: Toy4speed@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 20:16:59 EDT
In a message dated 6/14/01 10:49:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
vhead@fuelrtm.com writes:

> This has been a pretty good thread. I've noticed another problem with LFB.
> Because you always have your left foot poised over the pedal, you have no
> way of bracing yourself in a right turn. This means you really need a
> harness or racing lap belt to hold you down.
>
> I agree that there is a tendency to tap the brakes more often, but the
> hardest thing for me is that my left foot is "uneducated" from years of
> RFB. My left foot tends to push too hard and not modulate well. I also have
> had to learn to switch from Left to Right foot for downshifts, which
> usually requires a major body shift at the end of a straight. But I think
> it's worth practicing so you will have it in your bag of tricks.

I started to LFB (so many abbreviations on the internet!) this season.  Tried
last season and screwed up so bad that I decided to take a friends advice and
practice during the off-season.  Here's what I did, when driving my little
econo-civic with auto to work everyday, I LFB .  Now, it certainly easier
with an auto than a manual shift, but the idea was to develop the motion and
sensitivity.  Believe me, the sensitivity took really months to develop into
a sorta second nature thing.  So after months of LFB'ing into left and right
hand turns while simultaneously being on the gas, I kinda got the hang of it.
 Its actually pretty fun once you start noticing the smoother transitions
from braking to gas and vice versa.

My very limited experience, would recommend LFB but don't start in the middle
of a season or you may just waste the rest of the events.  Certainly, the
initial tendency is overbraking, sometimes too hard, other times too
frequently.  Takes time.
Not essential to be "national caliber" ,  just another tool.

my .02 worth.

Donald Lew
DSP Supra