RE: Great vid clip

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Great vid clip
From: "Corey Smith" <smythe@abac.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 20:38:25 -0700
It was pretty obvious that neither the Corvette driver or the Elise driver
were at the "limit."  Perhaps at their own personal limit, but not the car's
limit.  They weren't really racing, just having a good time on the track.
Notice that neither car consistently hit their apexes, and many times they
didn't track out all the way when they should have (meaning they could have
had more corner speed).  They were both driving using the "point and shoot"
method.  Also notice that the Elise would destroy the Corvette under braking
(vette driver was braking way early, plus the Elise should stop better
anyway).  In the twisties, I would also expect the Elise to be faster, since
it is so much lighter, and nevermind that the Elise was probably on race
tires (and perhaps the vette on streets?).  The Corvette was obviously
faster on the straight stuff, much more top end.  With that much extra top
end, and if he could navigate the corners better, he should be pulling away
from the Elise on that fast track.  On a "normal" road course, however, I
have no doubt that the race-prepped Elise would be quicker than a
street-prepped Corvette.

It was a pretty cool video though, well done, but definitely not appropriate
for comparing the two cars' or the two drivers' ability.

My $0.02.

Corey