RE: Painting a car...

To: Ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Painting a car...
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 19:36:11 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, John Kelly wrote:
> I tried that once at a Pro Solo. Wasn't successful; neither at the event
> nor in reclassification for Pro Solo. Something else has to happen but I'm
> not sure what that is. Some of us are just deemed to be "cannon fodder" but
> then that should help explain the lack of Prepared cars at Pro Solos.

C'mon John.  Your car not being competitive in its class (along with your
insistence in continuing to run the car, which in most ways is admirable)
is exactly the same at a pro vs. regular solo2.

IMHO the reason you don't see as many prepared cars at Pros is two (or
three) fold.

First, apparently it used to be that all prepared cars ran together on an
index or something, which pissed off a lot of prepared folks.  Ever since
I've been running Pros ('98?) Pro's have been following the regular
classing structure in open classes.  If you don't get 5 drivers, you get
bumped to the next class... and that's the "problem"  Lots of prepared
folks don't like Pros, so when one or two do show up, they get bumped
somewhere uncompetitive.  Note that this is the fault of their fellow
prepared class competitors, NOT Pro Solo.

Second, prepared cars are at a disadvantage in first runs in the
challenge. DOT R tires deal with being cold better than slicks do (IMHO,
etc.)  To me, the point of ProSolo is class competition, not the challenge
anyway, plus the disadvantage isn't insurmountable.

My opinion as a prepared class ProSolo competitor.

Mark