Re: Cars from "Driven" up for auction

To: Brad and Janice Martinson <brad@rahul.net>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cars from "Driven" up for auction
From: Jim Ochi <jochi@ricochet.net>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 09:36:41 -0700
At 09:15 AM 5/24/2001 -0700, Brad and Janice Martinson wrote:

> > Can't even venture what the reserve would be... but they've converted them
> > to 900cc motorcycle engines... would make an interesting autocrosser,
> eh? :)
>
>Help me out here - why did they convert them to 900cc bike power?  The only
>thing that occurs to me is so the actors don't kill themselves by actually
>going 200mph or something...

I'd guess that it's a lot cheaper to run a 900cc bike motor, than it would
be to use the normal engine.  It's probably easier to drive, too, and a lot
slower which would make it easier to film.  If you somehow burn out the
motor, replacements wouldn't cost megabucks.  Also, you can run regular
gasoline, instead of mucking with methanol.  And, these cars have that
special passing feature, where all you have to do is downshift and floor
the gas pedal to pass anyone on the track, anywhere! :-)

Jim