Why do race workers do it?

To: "Bay_Area_Autocross_List" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Why do race workers do it?
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 09:59:22 -0700
Well, I flagged corner 7 at Sears Point yesterday, and it
was quite a blast.

I used to wonder how they got race workers, because after all,
why work corners when you could be racing?  And aren't race
workers really peons, there is just this big PR campaign to
get people to work, then trap them in by peer pressure.

What a fool!  It's not a tradeoff between working and driving,
it's a tradeoff between working and spectating.  Trust me,
all the inconveniences and difficulties with spectating are
completely gone when you are a corner worker.  You are there!
I was about 20 feet from the cars, looking down on them.  There has
never been a site for watching a race that compares!  Better, you
are involved in the action.  You are actually an important part of
making the races work.

I'm not really much for watching races, I'm more into the
cars and the sounds than the people and the politics and the
standings.  But I am seriously considering working more
races, just because that's really the very best ways to watch.

You folks who are deeply into racing action, how could you
possibly resist the chance to work them?  If you haven't
tried it, you really should -- do yourself a favor!

Jerry

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps
rouler!